Thursday, August 14, 2008

Finding Love in Music


About four years ago I met this interesting guy through a church group we were both involved in. I initially thought he was pretty good-looking but then immediately wrote him off as a person I wouldn’t be interested in because he was a “banker” and I thought he would be too boring for me. But, our paths kept crossing and we got to know each other a little more each time we met.

Finally, several months later, he called me up and asked me to go on our first date together. Now, at this point I was in my mid-twenties and had been on a few dates. I was very used to the normal first date scenario; pick me at 6pm, take me to dinner at a nice but not too nice restaurant, chat about life plans, hopes and dreams, quickly realize that we have nothing in common, sit painfully through a lame movie. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Well, this guy was different. He casually mentioned on the phone that he was planning to see a chamber music concert with the Summerfest Chamber Music Series at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in downtown Kansas City and was planning to go by himself. I offered to go with him. I couldn’t believe I just invited myself on a date!

On the evening of the concert he came to pick me up and was already more impressive than any other first date I’ve ever had. He was dressed up and looked sharp for the concert. We drove to this cool old-looking church in downtown KC and sat through one of the most beautiful chamber music concerts. The sound from the instruments resonated throughout the church and, for lack of better words, made me feel as though something magical were in the air. I looked over at my date and saw the smile across his face. I knew he was enjoying the concert as much as I. What a unique first date! After that evening I had a sneaking suspicion that this man was going to be my husband.

Sure enough, one year later he brought me back to another Summerfest concert at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and proposed to me! We’ve been married for over two years now and go back to the chamber music concerts every summer to reminisce about how we first fell in love through listening to beautiful music together.

Have you ever taken a date to a chamber music concert? If not, you must try it. It is a unique experience that neither of you will forget!

No comments: