Thursday, August 7, 2008

I've Grown So Ugly




No, I’m not talking about myself. I was exploring the library of upcoming artists in the 2008-2009 season and while I was buzzing around iTunes I stumbled across an album from the Brentano String Quartet, the artists for our first show of the season. The album’s title is Mackey: String Theory. I decided to sample some of the tracks. I found the album itself to be quite amazing and original, but there was one track in particular that blew me away.
“I’ve Grown So Ugly”, track number 2, presented me with a sound that I totally did not expect. If someone were to ask me to imagine the sound of a string quartet I would think of very fluid, soft sounds as all four instruments blended together. The Brentano Quartet does this but not in a way that I expected at all. The piece almost sounded like a folk song from the Civil War with its plucks of strings and knocking sounds on the instruments. It is a very diverse piece that certainly shatters any preconceived notion as to what a string quartet will “sound like.” I admire artists who explore new inventions of themselves and their art while staying true to who they are and the art that they produce. In general, the Brentano Quartet seems to do this well.
Go to iTunes and check out the track and album. You’ll be surprised and amazed.

1 comment:

dmcnair said...

You are right--a very interesting CD from the Brentanos.

You might also like to have a look at the late Allen Strange's 2001 book, The Contemporary Violin: ExtENDed Performance Techniques, for insights into the 'what' and the 'how' of the effects heard on the Brentano CD.

Cheers,

DSM.

Chamber Music Today blog