Friday, September 19, 2008

A Connection from the Past

I was looking for a CD the other day and I came across the first CDs that I ever bought. I was roughly 10 years old and received a CD player for Christmas. It was the new wave in technology which, although I may be young, amazes me as to how far technology has come since then. Anyway, I remember having a little bit of money left over from Christmas. I suffered from the “money burning a hole in my pocket disease,” and I needed to purchase at least one CD for my new possession.

My dad took me to Best Buy and I found the box set of Beethoven’s Complete Piano Works on sale. This was even more appealing to me because I hadn’t discovered my eclectic taste for music yet and I could get more CDs for the price of one. I remember playing those CD’s so much that if my new CD player could speak it would have said “Enough!”

So when I saw those CDs the other day I, serving in my current position of employment, couldn’t help but to look to see who the artist was who introduced me to the works of Beethoven. It was none other than Dubravka Tomsic, a pianist who has appeared with The Friends often and become a Kansas City favorite.

I had come full circle yet again. Thank you to Ms. Tomsic for planting the seeds for my future.

No comments: