Friday, September 5, 2008

Passion is the Most Important Ingredient


One of my favorite scenes from the film Amadeus is when Salieri says, “All I wanted was to sing to God. He gave me that longing... and then made me mute. Why? Tell me that. If He didn't want me to praise him with music, why implant the desire? … And then deny me the talent?”
That scene reminded me a little of my life and my relationship with music. Perpetuating our societal stereotype I haven’t got a rhythmic bone in my body. I’ve tried to play piano and after two years I was only able to choke my way through “When the Saints Go Marching In.” After many years of singing in choirs and 4 years of intense classical training I can technically sing very well, but the sound? Well, let’s just say that The Friends won’t be presenting my work anytime soon. Despite the obstacles before me I have always had a passion for music. A lot of that passion came from an unlikely source.
I served as cantor once when I was in high school. The nerves of singing solo in front of roughly a thousand people definitely were present but despite nearly choking on butterflies I made it through getting a “thumbs up” from my psyche. The week after cantering I received a letter from the parish priest telling me that I should focus on the talents that God had given me and not singing. This crushed me. In spite of those discouraging words however, my passion grew stronger. I took voice lessons, plunked away on the keys of the piano, and I continue to perform a full concert while driving or taking a shower. I’ve actually grown to thank that priest.
My talent was and may not be the best but like Salieri music is my greatest desire. Sure that person wasn’t very nice to me, but looking back he made me love music even more. Talent is important but without passion there would be no need for art.

No comments: