Friday, October 17, 2008

Minimum is Sometimes the Maximum

I remember sometime ago watching the Superbowl and seeing a commercial for Pepsi. The commercial featured Albert Einstein floating in space as cans of Pepsi slowly drifted past him. Accompanying this strange movement was the soothing melodic sounds of a soprano counting in sequence from 1-8. I remember finding the sounds incredibly interesting. I used the powerful tool of Google and searched to find the source of this sound.
It was at this moment that I was first introduced to Philip Glass and further the art of minimalist music. I had come across the expressionistic theatrical work known as Einstein on the Beach. Minimalist music has always been fascinating to me because although it is “minimal” it seems to fill the ear of the listener and its slow progression and slight changes in key put me into a meditative state that lets my imagination run wild.

Further, the Piano Etudes (or studies) of Philip Glass present a challenging fast-paced ride through a short progression of notes.

I guess ultimately what really fascinates me about this style of music is simply the simplicity. How so little can produce so much. I like all kinds of music and I very much enjoy the big symphonies and huge choral works but I also find that minimal music is a nice respite that takes my mind on a different journey.

No comments: