Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Working for The Friends

Working in a non-profit office for chamber music was not something that was exactly high on my list of things to do as a college student. I had homework to do, real work to do, money to make, friends to hang out with, papers to write, naps to take; an internship was one of the last things on my mind. If I happened to find one, sure, that'd be fine, but it was not pertinent to my life at that present moment. But fate would happen to intervene. One day, after my brain had been slighted by too many hours of dull repetitive work, my cell phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize, so I let it go to voicemail. Upon hearing the message that our marketing director Jeremy had left, I was astounded. He had actually offered me an internship. It wasn't I who was fighting through ranks to earn a prestigious position as office intern, I was chosen.

I'd have to admit, for a few seconds, I felt like Highlander.

But once reality came back to me, and I stepped off the nearest table and relinquished my pen which I had brandished as a sword, I immediately called him back. We set up a meeting for the next Wednesday. When the day arrived, I dressed to look my best and went to the interview. We discussed the facets of working in the office, the music, the not being paid-ness (much to my chagrin). At the end of it all, I didn't feel like running out of the office into the street, so I decided that I'd work for them. A shake of the hand and my work schedule was set.

I do some of the basic boring intern things: Calling, filing, mailing, answering phones, typing; it's to be expected to do those things. But I do have opportunities to have more responsibilities. Because I'm the only one in the office under the age of 22, I have become the in-house techie and master of Facebook and Myspace. Also being a film student, I get to make a promotion video for The Friends of Chamber Music, which is something I highly look forward to. Plus it's always nice to be able to work in a professional atmosphere, and I look forward to being with the Friends for a long time.

No comments: