Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Music's Healing Power

My grandmother recently passed away. She was 96, and lived a long, happy life. Her cancer diagnosis came only one month ago, and we were fortunate that she didn’t suffer for very long. My family is grieving over this loss, but I find that we’re all using music to help lift our spirits.

A couple of weeks ago, on my way to visit Grandma, I listened to the Carter Family in the car. I wanted to hear something “old-timey” and simple, something that would remind me of Grandma’s childhood days on a farm in central Missouri. Much of the Carter Family’s gospel-themed music was appropriate to my mood, too. Grandma always followed the Carters’ advice to “Keep on the Sunny Side”!

Over that weekend visit to see Grandma, my dad, a bluegrass enthusiast, played his old record of Bill Monroe doing classics such as “What Would You Give in Exchange for Your Soul?” and “He Will Set Your Fields on Fire.” He played this record a lot while I was growing up, so the songs sounded very familiar and comforting. Later that day, my mom played a CD of hymns arranged by John Rutter, one of her favorite composers and arrangers. I realized that as all of us were coming to terms with Grandma’s prognosis, we were finding music that wouldn’t necessarily provide complete solace, but that would give us a soundtrack under which we could reflect upon our emotions and memories.

Both of my grandparents were big jazz fans. My grandfather, who passed away ten years ago, had a record collection that included all the “greats”. When he was in the nursing home, my mom would play Benny Goodman or Billie Holiday on a small stereo in his room, and he would smile as if this elixir was better than any pain medicine. Music can be powerful not only for those who love the dying, but for the dying, themselves.

My mom is going to play the organ at Grandma’s funeral. She says that Grandma always loved hearing her play, especially when she would “bang out” big, powerful hymns. One of Grandma’s favorite hymns was “A Mighty Fortress is our God.” Mom will play it at the funeral, and will play it LOUD! Grandma will be smiling, I’m sure.

No comments: